9.29.2008

Did God Need a Friend?

I can't remember what website I pulled this from, so I don't have the author's name. Should I run across it, I will give the writer full credit. Eddie's memorial service and graveside service yesterday are unexplainable. There are no words. Here was a church family, along with Eddie's own family, gathering to celebrate his new life in Heaven while struggling to understand that his earthly life has come to an end.
I still continue to live day to day, mourning him and thinking with each step through those church halls, I'm going to turn a corner and he will be there. And if I am struggling in my own grief, I can not even begin to fathom the pain that Karen is in. I wish that every single person who ever comes to this blog could have known Eddie Harris. Your life would have been a much brighter place, just by one of what Jimmy Williams called "an Eddie Harris hug that would almost crack your ribs."

Eddie was a hugger who was not afraid to tell anyone how much he loved them. It is my great hope that in losing him, we will grow closer as a church family and learn to love one another more in the same way that Eddie loved all of us. I think that is one of the best ways we can honor his memory.

We love you, Eddie.

Did God need another angel?
Or someone He knew that would care?
Someone who always thought of others
And when needed…was always there.

Did God need another angel?
Or someone to be more helpful in Heaven above?
Even though you were treasured here on Earth
I guess He noticed your kindness & your love.

Did God need another angel?
Or someone He knew was worthwhile?
Someone to share in His spiritual inspirations
And someone with an awesome smile!

I guess God watched you from Heaven
And choose someone He knew was special
Many nights I’ve cried to God in anger
“Why did You need another angel?”

And then the answer hit me & it’s quite simple
For now, I’m no longer saddened,
Because, God DID need another angel
…but he also needed a friend!


Just as you were loved, so shall you be missed.

0 comments: