4.07.2009

The Great Cloth Diapering Debate

There. I said it. Cloth diapers. You know, most mothers I know would scream and run in fear of those two little words. I myself am a member of a message board where several of the mothers use or have used cloth diapering. And what about super-Mom MckMama who has cloth diapered all four of her young children?

Well, to be honest, on her blog she does explain that she does use disposables. But with the economy the way it is now, the idea of cloth diapering has become more and more appealing to me. I am not fond of doing laundry but from the research I have read it seems that it's not necessarily done that often and more reading led me to discover that cloth diapers have come a long way. Remember these? Most of us might immediately recognize those as burp cloths for our babies! I know I used them for Gracie and when we were done, my mom cut them in half to use them as wash cloths for cleaning and small jobs.

I've talked to several older women who back when disposable diapers didn't exist, they were forced to cloth diaper - and what a task it was! Now check out these bad boys. They look much different - and way less complicated - then learning to fold and pin and then cover in a plastic, waterproof diaper cover to keep them from leaking through.

So I'm still debating about whether or not to even venture into the world of cloth-diapering motherhood. I mean the worst that could happen is I buy a starter kit like this one and after several tries find that it just isn't for me. The only other drawbacks are that Gracie's current daycare (and future daycare for baby James) may be totally against cloth diapering. So he would end up in disposables from time to time anyways.

I'd love for some of you other moms to share your thoughts with me and you can even feel free to post a link to my website and see if other moms might share their thoughts!

4 comments:

Wade's World said...

I think you have lost your mind.

I say that with all due respect of course because I don't want to be threatened with having to relinquish the title of "designated baby picture taker."

SusieGoodness said...

I used cloth diapers for 2 of my 3 children. Cloth diapers have really come a long way and are sooo easy to use now. My husband had no problems changing a baby once he saw the "new" cloth diapers. Also, I estimate that I saved approx. 5000 dollars over the course of 4 years. 1200 bucks a year savings.. not bad!

Jeff9 said...

The best way to clean cloth diapers is to pre-rinse them off in the toilet using a Hand Bathroom Bidet Sprayer. So convenient and if you are trying to help the environment (and your pocket book) you can give it a double whammy by virtually eliminating toilet paper use at the same time as you benefit from using it on the diapers, by using it on yourself. I think Dr. Oz on Oprah said it best: "if you had pee or poop on your hand, you wouldn't wipe it off with paper, would you? You'd wash it off" Available at www.bathroomsprayers.com they come in an inexpensive kit and can be installed without a plumber. And after using one of these you won't know how you lasted all those years with wadded up handfuls of toilet paper. Now we're talking green and helping the environment without any pain.

Unknown said...

I would be willing to help out on SAturdays..... I used cloth diapers, Like the ones you are talking about, on my oldest and loved them....