4.09.2009

What is Good Friday?

Wikipedia says: Good Friday, also called Holy Friday, Great Friday or Black Friday, is a religious holiday observed primarily by adherents to Christianity commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus and his death at Golgotha, an event central to Christian theology. The holiday is observed during Holy Week as part of the Paschal Triduum on the Friday preceding Easter Sunday, and often coincides with the Jewish observance of Passover.
Based on the scriptural details of the Sanhedrin Trial of Jesus, the Crucifixion of Jesus was most probably on a Friday. The exact year of Good Friday has been estimated as AD 33, by two different groups, and originally as AD 34 by Isaac Newton via the differences between the Biblical and Julian calendars and the crescent of the moon.

Following along with Good Friday comes Easter Sunday, and I wanted to share something that I received this afternoon when I picked up Gracie's things at school. Have you heard of the Jelly Bean Poem? If not, you can google it - it's basically a poem explaining what each jelly bean color represents in terms of Christ. This, however, was something different. It's a ziploc bag with a note attached that says: "My Easter Treasures."

In the ziploc bag are different items (sadly, I don't have my camera handy). I see a nail, a black stone, a plastic Easter egg, a piece of wire, some coins, etc....here is the note attached to the front explaining what each item represents:

My treasyre box reminds me
of what Easter really means.
I look inside my treasure box
and see some precious things:
A tuft of donkey hair-
on a donkey Jesus rode.
A coin like that of Judas -
His soul for money he sold.
A twig from the garden
like the one where Jesus prayed.
A leather strap for all the stripes
upon his back they made.
A thorn like those the people made
to crown the King of Kings.
A nail reminds me how they nailed
My Savior to the tree.
A smooth stone like the ones they used
To gamble for his things.
A piece of gauze like those that wrapped
the precious King of Kings.
A broken piece of stone
from the one that was rolled away.
An empty egg for the empty tomb -
Christ rose and lives today!

Have a blessed Easter weekend. I will be spending time with my little family and my mother-in-law and will hopefully have new pictures to post over the weekend.

0 comments: