1.16.2008

Mucinex=YUCK!!!

Okay so yesterday I posted about Gracie's current illness with bronchiolitis. I may have mentioned that the pediatrician suggested Robitussin DM. However our pharmacist (who I trust to give us good advice) warned us that most kids won't take the Robitussin because of the horrible taste. She suggested we try Mucinex for Kids, which is basically the same thing so I picked up this one.

When we tried to give it to Gracie last night, she gagged and coughed (her drama queen side coming out) and I just very calmly told her it would make her feel all better.

So at 12:30 this morning when I got up to use the bathroom, she was asleep on the couch. I didn't wake her up, just went back to bed. At 4:45 this morning, she was calling me to come "fix" her runny nose and put medicine on it. (I've got this Johnson's balm I've been putting on her nose because it is really dried out and red). I talked her into getting back in her bed.

Well this morning she seemed to be feeling better, and my mom suggested last night we refrigerate the Mucinex to see if it would go down better with less complaining from Gracie. I had no sooner given her a half a teaspoon full when it ALL started coming back up. She literally threw up ALL over the kitchen floor, because she would panic, throw up, and then move to get out of my way so I could clean it up. I was 45 minutes late to work because of all this!

So when I called her pediatrician, they suggested either Robitussin or maybe Mucinex Mini-Melts instead. My aunt was watching Gracie while my mom had her taxes done, and she said that Gracie gobbled up the powder form that was bubble-gum flavored.

Needless to say, I'll be avoiding the liquid cough syrup from here on out.

0 comments: