1.12.2008

So anyway....

I totally understand that this website is entitled "Life With Gracelynn" and at first it was just that. But lately, especially during the holidays, it has kind of turned into a family blog. However, I'm not going to change the name simply because I want to talk about other things at random moments like this.

Bryan had a seizure on Wednesday night, around 10:15. We had gone to bed about 45 minutes before the seizure, and I can not begin to explain exactly what it feels like to be sound asleep (although I'm a light sleeper) and be jolted awake by something like that. And while they are only trying to comfort me, it's especially hard when people try to tell me to "relax" and go back to bed. First of all, my nerves are shot and I'm an emotional mess. I actually called the paramedics Wednesday night because after he came out of his seizure, Bryan got up and was stumbling around in the bedroom. He wasn't responding to me like a normal person who was awake, he was mumbling alot and asking me weird questions like what my name was.

The RN at his neurologist's office called this post-ictal, which basically lasts about 30 minutes after the seizure. She says the person is usually disoriented/confused, and may try to walk around as if everything is normal. However, she did reassure me that my idea of not restraining him to the bed was a good idea - it could have aggitated him more. So I let him stumble around but I was afraid he might fall, so I called the paramedics.

I don't know why I'm rambling about this....it is the second time since last August that he has had a seizure, the last time he had one was in our old apartment and that was before Gracie even existed.

Needless to say my nerves are shot, and I have not been sleeping well the last few days. His neurologist has no desire to see him, unless the bloodwork Bryan had done on Thursday is any indication that his medication levels are low. They advised us to make sure he gets at least 7 hours of sleep a night, and that he is eating throughout the day and not starving himself. Of course, no alcohol and no large amounts of caffeine. But we knew all that before.

He complained alot about his arms being sore (I called out of work for him on Thursday) and his tongue was sore. Apparently he bites down on it during the seizure, which to me is just odd because the only way I know he's having a seizure is that he's making a ridiculously loud snore/choke sound and his body is jerking.

Bryan seems to think this has been the worst seizure he's ever had, and I would agree only because of the stumbling around part. The only other time I've called 911 was when he had one and fell off the bed, and took the night stand down with him. And I think that was several, several years ago.

Bryan blames himself for alot of it because due to his short term memory issues, I have to question him repeatedly about whether or not he took his medication. And sometimes he'll say yes to shut me up, even if he hasn't.

I'm sorry, I'm done. I just needed to vent about it.

In Gracie news, she has stopped getting up in the middle of the night and out of her bed. We are slowly moving our things to my mom's house, as that is where we will be living while she is gone to Saudi Arabia.
Gracie is also learning how to drink from a "big girl" cup (we introduced it after her second birthday when I bought them) and she is doing really, really well with that. She is now sitting at the table with us in her booster chair and although it can be messy sometimes, she's doing good there too.

I guess that's it for now. Sorry for the long post.

Oh wait! One more...I pass this small church on the way from my mom's to my house (can't remember the name - ever!) but their church billboard outside said "We're not Dairy Queen, but we do have good Sundays."
Sorry, thought it was funny!

2 comments:

McCrory Family said...

Miranda, so sorry to hear about Bryan. I had no idea that he has seizures. Russell has REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (which means he acts out his dreams...no matter how crazy)...so I can emphasize with not being able to "relax and sleep". Hope you have a better night tonight.

Wade's World said...

I can't believe his Dr. didn't want to see him. That seems so ridiculus to me.

If you need anything, or just want to talk, give me a call. I can definitely relate to the crap that a neurologist office can give you!!!