9.01.2009

Best! Cake! Ever!



I am a cake-a-holic. If I could eat cake all the time and not gain any weight, I probably would. The fact of the matter is the only person who can get away with that in our house is my husband. But that's another blog post in itself....

My sister-in-law Tara is a member of the Prattville Service League. Each year they do a Labor Day BBQ at Pratt Park, and one year I actually purchased a cookbook put together by the PSL at the BBQ. I am a big fan of cook books, but the problem tends to be that I live and die by old tried and true recipes. Meaning? If I know I've made it and my tiny family will eat/love it, I don't usually sway from the old favorites.

But I was looking for something "different" for dessert: Not a homemade cake necessarily, but one that tasted/looked homemade that actually wasn't. I found that in Mrs. Karen's Chocolate Cake: (recipe follows)

1 box yellow cake mix
1 small box instant chocolate pudding mix
1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. crisco oil
1 1/2 c. water
1 package mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.Mix together the cake mix and two pudding mixes (all of these are dry mixes). Add in everything else, except for the chocolate chips. Mix well and then add chocolate chips. Pour batter into a greased bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour (I had to bake mine for about 1 hour and 20 minutes because it wasn't quite done!). Let it cool in the bundt pan until totally cooled, and then transfer to a cake plate.

I have made this cake three times since my maternity leave started, and it is absolutely wonderful. Quick and easy and even better served with ice cream! Try it out and leave me a comment to tell me what you think. It is super moist and somewhat rich, so have a tall glass of cold milk ready!

0 comments: