5.18.2008

MONUMENTAL MOMENT

Okay, so I'm slipping in here really quickly before a trip to Circuit City to share my HUGE news in "Life with Gracelynn" history. I realize I might've said this before, but I'm seriously being honest. Typically because of our work schedules, Bryan and I usually designate Friday night as Gracie's day to spend the evening with Nana Kay. Nana Kay lives in Montgomery, and this way she and Gracie get to spend some much needed quality time together.
So Nana Kay tells me on Saturday that Gracie went to bed Friday night without a pappy (read:pacifier) and didn't even ask for it. At nap time Saturday afternoon, the same thing occured. So I'm feeling very confident that by Saturday night, she'll have forgotten all about her precious "pappy". Not so fast, Mom. I had to talk my child through a literal nervous breakdown. She, sobbing, told me she needed a pappy, and I (being the adult and quick thinker) very politely said no. I explained that big girls who go to preschool who are learning to tee tee on the potty, they don't need a pappy. YES I DO she wailed. I wasn't going to budge. Not even for desperate, sobbing, can't catch my breath crying that ensued.

And then I said very calmly, "Please stop." She takes a few big gulps, looks very sternly at me and says, "Mama I can't find my pappy ANYWHERE!!!" Brilliant. So I said, kind of softly, "Do you think, maybe, that one of the babies (sorry Jackson, no offense) in your class at church may have found it?"

"BABIES don't NEED a pappy, Mama!" she cries. Silly mother. What was I thinking?

"No, Gracie, babies DO need a pappy. Big girls DON'T." so then I tried to remove the pappy from the topic of conversation (since the tears had stopped) by offering a teddy bear, her stuffed lamb. I suggested saying our prayers, which we did. She rolled over and I left the room, breathing a sigh of relief twenty minutes later when a quick peek revealed she was sound asleep. Without her precious pappy.

VICTORY!!!!

2 comments:

McCrory Family said...

What big news!!! I know you must be excited! Gracie is officially a big girl!!

Wade's World said...

What do you want to bet that next time we go out to eat together she is going to wonder if Jackson stole her pappy. I bet she even asks you about it later!